Friday 5 November 2010

Gravy

It looks like the word "gravy" in UK/Ireland means something different in the USA.

At home, gravy is *brown*. It's usually thick, but might be a bit runny. It's made with the juices of beef (or chicken, or whatever) leftover in the pan, heated up, maybe with onions (aswell or instead), reduced, wine added, cornflour, that sort of thing.

Or you could just buy bisto granules. That's what I do. And add it to the juices. Makes it extra rich. Also I follow the directions religiously, so it's nice 'n' thick.

Here in the USA though, it looks like gravy means a thick, creamy sauce. The photos on the front of the packets looks like somebody poured cream sauce over their steak.

I'm sure it's lovely, but it's not what I'm looking for!

They also have stuff called "brown gravy", which is more like what I'm after. And in one supermarket I found some classic bisto, but it's powder, not granules, so it's a bit of a pain to make.

Thankfully the boys Auntie was visiting recently and brought us some bisto granules. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment