Wednesday 17 November 2010

Cheap wine in walmart

Walmart sell a brand of wine called "Oak Leaf". It is, of course, Californian. It tastes really nice. I don't know if it's on special offer or what, but it's $1.97 a bottle.

There's a Merlot, a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Shiraz. Me, I prefer the cab sauv, but I suspect that I wouldn't be able to tell them apart in a taste test.

(I definitely wouldn't be able to tell all *three* apart in a blind taste test - three-way taste tests are practically impossible.)

(I also have a suspicion that they're all the same - just different labels.... ;-)

Local wine, tastes great, dirt cheap. Isn't that fantastic?

Oh, they have some white wines too, but I can live without white wine.

To be honest, I prefer to drink beer. But did I mention the wine is $1.97 a bottle? Decent beer costs about a dollar a bottle when on special offer, more when not. I mean, I don't want to sound like a student who has just discovered The Crescent, but ... well, I guess I'm a wine drinker now.

Oh, it gets better: there's no CRV on wine. I can think of lots of reasons why not, but my guess is that the folks who write the laws (and those who lobby for them) drink wine, not beer. Plus, wine is probably Big Business in california, and beer isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment